Career Management is very essential which facilitates smooth transitions from one level to the next higher level in a #profession. You cannot decide what to do unless you know what you are going to do or where you want to be tomorrow. Long term personal goals and professional goals are elemental in setting overall targets.
According to Stephen P.Robbins, career is “a sequence of life positions occupied by a person during the course of a lifetime.
Setting Goals for an Effective Career
Your goals may be
Consider if you are goals are
2. Whether you possess the skill set
3. Achievable within the set time limit (duration)
Based on these goals it is important to make long term and short term career plans. Also write down your
· Skills and
All these basic but vital things will give you a clear picture as to where you stand and what has to be done to improve your skills.
EYE OPENERS WHILE SETTING PERSONAL CAREER TARGETS
A. What do you want to accomplish from two or three years from now?
B. What developments and #knowledge can make this possible?
C. How do you want to prepare yourself to achieve these targets or in what way you want to improve your skills?
D. Is there a necessity for check points in the middle of the progress to make the necessary revisions?
TIPS TO MANAGE DIVERSIFYING CAREERS
· Anticipate the changes and be prepared for anything at any time
· Look at the ‘Job Loss’ as an opportunity to pursue a new career that interests you.
A career will be satisfactory only when it interests the person and provides challenge and not by mere compensation or reward. Each #organization should plan and help the individual, but every individual should take interest in his career.
Career planning entails evaluating abilities and interests and considering alternative career development activities. The process results in
EFFECTS OF CAREER PLANNING
In corporate companies, a typical career planning program might include
1. Career counseling by members of the HR department
2. Workshops to help employees evaluate their skills, abilities, and interests to decide on their career development plans
3. Self directed programs to help the workforce guide their own careers through self-assessment and
4. Communication of job opportunities through job postings, videotapes and publications.
One has to remember that career counseling may increase the pressure for managers and in turn the organization, as employees either become anxious about their present level of performance and chances for career advancement or they might use the opportunity to demand more from the firm in terms of pay, promotions etc.,
KEY CAREER ISSUES OF EMPLOYEES