I would like to brief you on some of the key aspects that mark the paradigm shift in the HR environment towards better management prospects.
1. The Human Resource function has shifted its focus to a much wider canvas that includes
2. A range of HR sub-systems are involved in
3. Human Resource is considered as an “investment” and no more an “expenditure”.
4. The concepts of
5. Values that are stressed upon are
The techniques that are basically holistic in nature can solve the purpose. Such techniques involve
These techniques produce performers who find their way through any set of given problems, manage themselves and lead the team to a stae of self- realisation.
Let us make a sincere comparison between the past and the present in terms of HR perspective.
Old model vs New model
1. Job was the basic unit/ Team is thebasic unit
2. Relations with environment there handled by the individuals/ Densely networked with environment
3. Information flow was vertical/ now it is vertical, horizontal and holistic
4. Many layers of management / Organisations have become flat
5. Emphasis on structures/ Emphasis on process and literally virtual organisations have evolved
6. Career path upward and linear/ career path lateral and flexible
7. Standardised evaluation and reward system/ Customised evaluation and reward system
8. Ethnocentric/ International
9. Single strong culture/ Multicultural and diversity of viewpoints and behaviour
A comparison between Personnel management and Human Resource management
Dimensions Personnel management HR management
Time and planning Short term, ad hoc Long term, pro-active
Psychological contact Compliance Commitment
Control systems External control Self control
Employee- relations Low trust Individual, developed
Preferred roles Bureaucratic, formal Organic, flexible
Evaluation- criteria Cost- minimisation Maximum utilisation