Recruitment refers to that process carried on by the company to attract suitable candidates possessing the appropriate characteristics to help the organization reach its objectives. According to Byars and Rue, “recruitment involves a pool of people from which qualified candidates for job vacancies can be chosen.” The basic purpose is to develop a group of potentially qualified people.
The policies of recruitment are derived from the personnel policies of the organization where the company has to give due importance to government reservations, quotas, policies regarding sons of the soil, personnel policies of other organizations regarding merit, internal sources, social responsibility in absorbing minority sections, women etc.
Sources of Recruitment:
1. Present permanent employees
2. Present temporary/ casual employees
3. Retrenched or retired employees
4. Dependents of deceased, disabled, retired and present employees.
Why internal source is considered to be a better choice?
1. Educational and training institutes
2. Private employment agencies/exchanges
3. Public employment exchanges
4. Professional associations
5. Data banks
6. Casual applicants
7. Similar organizations
8. Trade Unions
9. Social media networking sites like Facebook and Linked in offer a huge platform for both recruiters and job seekers to find the best possible match.
Why external source is considered to be a better choice?
· The suitable candidates with skill set, knowledge and talent are generally available
· Latest knowledge, skill, innovations or creative talent can be infused into the organization
· Candidates can be selected without any pre- conceived notions or reservations
· The cost shelled out for these external sources are minimum since they are placed in minimum pay scale
· Expertise, excellence and experience in other organizations can be easily brought into the organization
· Human resources mix can be balanced with different background, experience, skill etc.
· Existing personnel will also broaden their personality
· Quality of human resource will improve in the long run by development of unique culture
The management has to contact the prospective employees through various means and stimulate them for applying to the post prescribed.
A. Promotions: This is a good technique to stimulate internal employees as they will be willing to shoulder more responsibilities if they are assured of promotions
B. Transfer: If employees are transferred to the places of their choice, it will stimulate them
C. Recommendations of the present employees: Management can contact, persuade the outsiders to apply for job in the organization through the recommendations to the candidates by the present employees, trade unions etc.
D. Scouting: This is another way of recruiting where the representatives of a particular organization are sent to various sources of recruitment to motivate the prospective candidates to apply for the jobs. The representatives provide the necessary information about the company and clarify doubts of the candidates.
E. Advertising: Though the popular and widely accepted way of recruitment, still it proves to be one-way communication. Newspapers, Magazines of all types, television and internet are the possible sources of advertising channels and internet marketing leads the rest. The technique of advertising should aim at attracting attention of the respective candidates, creating and maintaining interest and stimulating action on the part of the candidates.
Recruitment Practices in India
Some Interesting Facts about Indian Business Scenario and changing business environment:
· In countries like India, family owned businesses are very common and they tend to be closely knit groups where outsiders cannot find their way to the top level of management.
· Labor is in demand now-a-days and people are all informative thanks to Internet and social media
· Mobile market is booming and hence enhanced communication
· Self Help groups is one of the good initiatives started by the government and has picked up well among the “Below Poverty Line” families, especially women folk, who are supported by the government to start a small scale industry and the savings are put up as a corpus fund for later use.
· Job Attrition is very high as there is need for clear cut HR policy formulations.
· In the future, people will not be shifting between jobs but only projects.